Lin Convery - Marriage and Civil Celebrant

Legal Requirements for Marrying in Australia
Outdoor Wedding Celebrant

When marrying in Australia, certain legal requirements must be fulfilled.  (You can visit for further details).

Before you may marry, the law requires that you sign and lodge with me the ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’. (form 13) This form must be submitted to me a minimum of one calendar month and one day prior to the wedding. You can submit your Notice in person, via fax or mail, but I require the original Notice when we meet. The ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ form will remain active for 18 calendar months from the date of submission.

You can download the form below for your convenience.
Notice of Intended Marriage’ form.

  • You must be over 18 years of age to marry in Australia.
  • Your marriage may take place on any day, at any time and at any place in Australia (or within Australian territorial waters).
  • If you are Australian born, you must show your birth certificate in English. If born outside Australia, you are required to show your birth certificate or passport from your country of birth.
  • If either of you have been previously married, you will have to produce your Divorce Decree Absolute papers and/or if either of your spouses are deceased, you must produce a Death Certificate.
  • Before your wedding, you must sign a statutory declaration stating there is no legal impediment to the marriage.
  • On the day of your marriage, you must have two witnesses over the age of 18.

Quick links